Academy MemberMap & Directions
- Practice Commenced: 2000
- Total Mediations (as of Jul 2021): 500
- Total Arbitrations (as of Jul 2021): 10
- JEFFERSON CITY
- KANSAS CITY/OVERLAND PARK
- ST. LOUIS
Mr. Patton obtained an undergraduate degree at Missouri State University (B.S. 1977) and obtained his law degree at the University of Missouri-Columbia (J.D. 1980). He was a member of the Missouri Law Review from 1978-1980.
Mr. Patton joined the law firm of Turner, Reid, Duncan, Loomer & Patton, P.C. after admission to the Missouri Bar in 1980, became a shareholder in 1983, and continues to practice at Turner Reid to the present time.
Supreme Court of Missouri
United States District Court for the Western District
Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association
Mr. Patton is a civil trial lawyer having tried approximately 150 jury trials over his career. He has tried cases representing both plaintiffs and defendants, including:
- A case defending a large hospital in a four week trial involving a severely incapacitated college student. Damages request was over $40 million dollars. Defense verdict.
- A series of eight two-week jury trials involving a toxic tort claim in an industrial setting. Results included a $20 million dollar plaintiffs' verdict and a defendant's verdict in a case requesting approximately $90 million in damages.
- A case representing a plaintiff who sued the manufacturer of a log splitter. Plaintiff's verdict.
- A case representing a defendant who manufactured an industrial tiller which was involved in an accident resulting in the death of a worker. Defense verdict.
- A case representing a plaintiff against her uninsured motorist insurance company. Plaintiff's verdict.
- A case representing a neurosurgeon in a claim regarding misplaced spinal hardware. Defense verdict.
Mr. Patton's current practice primarily involves mediations. He has served as a mediator in over 350 cases and participates in approximately 150 mediations a year.
Recent examples include:
- A case involving a commercial dispute which had been mediated, tried and reversed.
- A case involving the death of the patriarch of a large family.
- A case involving a bad faith claim against an insurance company.
- A case involving a dispute between two law firms.
- A case involving a paraplegic making claims against a tortfeasor, insurance companies, and a law firm.
- A case involving the death of a student who drowned while on a school outing.
HONORS AND AWARDS
Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers—2003
Member of the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals—2019
Recipient of the Martin J. Purcell Professionalism Award—2018 (Missouri Bar)
David J. Dixon Appellate Practice Award—1989 (Missouri Bar)
Martindale-Hubbell AV Rating--1994
SEMINARS AND PRESENTATIONS
Mr. Patton has presented legal education seminars on numerous occasions to the Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association, Missouri Bar, Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers, and Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys.
Mr. Patton has served as a Trial Practice instructor at the University of Missouri-Columbia Trial Practice courses.
- ADA Disability
- Banking & Finance
- Class Actions
- Community Associations
- Consumer Fraud
- Contract Disputes
- Family Businesses
- Health Care
- Land Use/Planning
- Legal Malpractice
- Libel & Slander
- Medical Devices
- Medical Malpractice
- Non-profit Organizations
- Nursing Homes
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Fees
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Railroad & Trucking
- Real Estate
- Sexual Harassment
- Shareholder Disputes
- Title Disputes
- Trusts / Estates
- Wage & Hour/FMLA
- Workers' Compensation
- Wrongful Death
- University of Missouri-Columbia (J.D., 1980)
- Missouri State University (B.S., 1977)
Memberships & Affiliations
- Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association
- Missouri Bar
- Defense Research Institute
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals